Thursday, August 5, 2010

{She Said} Shopping is Different on a Vacay

Souvenir shops should be required by law to have “proceed with caution” signs on their doors. There are so many options that are just too fun or cute to pass up which usually leaves the weak to over-do it. Let’s be honest, usually souvenirs become clutter as soon as you get home. The best of souvenir shops will have the key categories…
  1.  Clothes: something you can wear (hopefully) at later dates as well.
  2. Art: a little local flair
  3. Food: yummy treats not easily (if at all) found in your neck of the woods
  4. Look-a-doos: serve no purpose other than to have something to look at in your house with the name of your vacation place on it
  5. Collections: the “I buy the same thing with a different name everywhere I go” souvenirs such as thimbles and toothpick holders

Matt collects shot glasses so we always get one of those and then we sometimes will make a clothing purchase of some sort. Other than that, I try to focus on useful (deck of cards, blanket, spoon rest) or artsy (i know exactly where I will display it when I get home) items.  I try to really want it because otherwise I am stuck with a piece of junk for years. I can’t throw it out- it would be like throwing away memories! I’m stressed out just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Katie said...

"Look-a-doos"? I like the words you make up! This is going into the Schultz Family Dictionary for sure!