Friday, April 15, 2011

{She Said} Everyone’s an Expert

Everywhere you look you find someone who has the best method and/or approach to about anything having to do with raising a child… feeding, bathing, putting to sleep, talking to, exposing to digital media, medicating, disciplining, calming, etc., etc., etc.

It really almost leads one to believe that you can pretty much do whatever and the child will probably be ok. This is a relief because here are a few things I won’t be doing…
  • Trying to recreate the environment of the womb outside of the womb- we don’t live surrounded in goo so I don’t really want to set myself up for that kind of failure
  • Making a “shhh” sound noisily into my child’s ear- it would disturb me to do it so you can call me self-centered on this one if you want
  • Feeding my child every time he cries- I don’t want no fat baby if I can help it
  • Sleeping with my baby in my bed- just not into it and don’t really want to hear any arguments for it… call me closed minded

1 comment:

Higginski said...

I support all of these stands on child-rearing. Although next time I visit you, I would appreciate if you'd make a shhhh sound in my ear while I'm sleeping to help me relax. It's just good hospitality.