Saturday, July 9, 2011

{She Said} Not Guilty Until Proven Guilty

The jury of her peers has spoken and while they didn't find her guilty, that doesn't proclaim her innocence either. As someone who watched more of this trial than most of the general public (primarily due to the fact that it was the only thing on at 2, 3, 4 a.m.)I can tell you that, in my opinion, the evidence wasn't there to convict her. Sorry guys, it just wasn't.

I have been disappointed in the general public for not honoring the system just because it didn't give them the outcome they wanted. I am also disappointed in the media. I can't tell you how many times I would watch something live in court and then it would flash over to a broadcaster who would grossly misstate what had just happened or had just been said. The media absolutely made it look like there was evidence there that wasn't. We need to remember that the jury was in a fish bowl that was unencumbered by media or public propaganda.

As a bit of a side note, it is disgusting that the defense attorney made some of the claims he did about members of her family without substantiating any of them. It did nothing for his case and just served as defamation without any proof. If those things really did occur to her, that is horrible, but who knows if they did- she was found guilty of lying so...

Finally, in my opinion, I do think she did it. Whether it was an accident or intentional I guess we will never know but I do agree with the statement the prosecutor made in his closing argument... People murder and then try to make it look like an accident, they don't have an accident and then make it look like murder.

1 comment:

Emily said...

First, i was definetly supposed to be studying for the bar and NOT waching the trial...but I used it as a criminal law procedure lesson (well, really, how to violate every rule of procedure while the prosecution sits there with their thumbs up their ass). Anyway, I too think she is NOT INNOCENT. She is guilty to some degree and it is truly shameful that she is walking free (or about to be). I am REALLY disappointed in the jury...how can you convict someone of lying and then believe them when they say they didnt' do it?! It makes no sense. I know that I would not have walked out of that jury room without some degree of murder/manslaughter/reckless indifference charge...even a hung jury would have been better than not-guilty. The biggest reg flag to me was the duct tape over her mouth coupled with the failure to report her daughter missing. She is a sociopath, no doubt. Okay, enough venting...I must to study.