Saturday, August 27, 2011

{She Said} But I Need ALOT Of It

I love the big warehouse bulk stores (Sam's, Costco, etc). I regularly purchase items there that I know won't expire and I WILL use up eventually. In the past, this has mainly translated into toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, and allergy medicine but now... DIAPERS and WIPES too. It is odd because I have noticed that just seeing large quantities of things makes me believe I need large quantities of things so I often end up leaving with something I will never use 70 of, like jars of peanut butter.

I also find it amusing that people carry around their purchases as if they were normal quantities. In reality, it is odd to purchase 100 granola bars all at once. Act like it is odd. Some people should act embarrassed- mainly those paroosing the candy aisle (when I am there I at least try to look sheepish or incredulous about the army sized bag of Hershey's Nuggets in my hand).

You know what I like to do as I wander around my favorite bulk discount distributor:
-Look at people and assume they will be using the item they are towing all themselves (gets amusing with things like gallon size tubs of mayo- think of all the things you could do with a gallon of mayo)
-Carry my choices around as if they are insanely heavy due to the quantity that I am buying them in- sure, even when it's toilet paper.

Its interesting that they offer normal sized shopping carts at these places. One item fills the cart and then you are doing a balancing act with the rest of your wares because you can't carry anything (you have to push the cart) and you didn't want to seem like a big glutton and get the flat bed when you walked in. I believe this is for the employees' amusement.

I personally also choose to buy clothes at these places. Glad they aren't driving my prices up by having a fitting room and attendant. Since I have gotten used to it, I like embarrassing those I am with by trying the item of interest on over my clothes and then chasing my companion down to ask how I look. As if they can even tell with it being a sun dress over a sweater and jeans. Matt always thinks this activity makes me look like I am trying to steal something. For some reason, I don't think I am their biggest concern.

Can't get out with out spending entirely too much money on toilet paper and paper towels. For some reason my brain thinks that though I am getting more I should still be paying grocery store prices so I am always ridiculously shocked. Then I inevitably tuck my receipt away somewhere and end up holding the other shoppers, who just spent hours picking out things to buy in bulk that they don't even buy in normal quantities, back from getting a yellow highlighter line drawn down their receipt. Why do they do that anyway? For some reason, this is the most disturbing part of the experience to me.

No comments: