Monday, September 19, 2011

{She Said} Scavenger Hunt

Remember when it was required to set up your papers in school like this…

And if it didn’t look like that it wouldn’t be graded. Well not anymore. Now, parents throw fits if things like that affect the student’s grade. It isn’t what we are supposed to be teaching apparently. So the student’s grade shouldn’t be affected.

So, now I don’t have anything to positively or negatively reinforce proper labeling of the paper. This leads to no names, names written all across the top of the paper, names written in the margin, names written teeny tiny at the bottom, etc. It has basically become a scavenger hunt to find the student’s name and if I don’t find it and I put it in the no name pile the student treats me like an idiot when I missed the name written in the middle of a sentence three-quarters of the way down the paper.

Well, here’s the thing… my understanding of my job is to teach children how to be citizens of this country and the world (of course in a very grand sense). I’m pretty sure if I put my name on the address line of my IRS form, I would, not only, not receive my return, I would probably be fined for it. SO I believe proper heading on the paper should be a part of my curriculum.

1 comment:

Higginski said...

I wouldn't have a problem with the child not writing their name in the top corner if it was because they had come up with a better solution. If they could use innovation to revolutionize the way we lable homework papers, then that would be a valuable lesson in creativity. Sounds like most of them are just being really stupid though.