1 week ago
Monday, February 20, 2012
{She Said} The State of MY Educationing
You know, a lot of people have a lot of opinions on the state of public education these days. They worry about funding and curriculum and technology and etc etc etc. Well, I'm on the front lines and let me say this- I just don't get as worked up about it.
Here is what I think: everyone says education is one of the top priorities but words and actions aren't matching up. Money is just not being put toward that "priority." There are also some pretty significant problems with the curriculum and how it's organized. We basically teach the same thing over and over again year after year with way too much squeezed into one year rather than giving more time to topics and spreading things out over several years. Well that would take a lot of work to figure out and people are busy- I get it. There are a lot of people teaching that shouldn't be. It's not as easy as people think it is and a lot of people mess it up because they just don't care and don't think they should have to work at it.
Listen, here's the thing. Just send me the kids and I'll teach them. While I love all the bells and whistles, I really don't need them. So, sorry I don't get all opinionated and involved in the debate- I am passionate about doing my job well no matter what the circumstances. I, of course, wish I was paid better but I knew what I was getting into as far as that's concerned. I didn't get into this profession to use technology or be a millionaire- I did it to be with and positively influence kids. It used to be done in small one room buildings in the middle of the prairie- I can do it in the middle of the prairie. Thanks for not making me do it in the middle of the prairie. The rest is bonus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment