Monday, March 5, 2012

{She Said} Get Over This

The fam went to Sam’s Club on Saturday. You know, we needed obscene amounts of things.

As we finished up and were headed to our car, we exited (after having our receipt marked with a highlighter). I was carrying Zach and Matt was pushing the cart. A truck drove by in front of us and stopped just after it passed us. We began to cross into the parking lot and just as we did this, the truck started backing up quickly. It came so close to hitting us that I jumped one way with Zach and Matt shoved the cart the other way out the other way. The truck paused then floored it in reverse as he turned in Matt’s direction. I crossed as this was going on and got to the other side near the cart. The truck then started going forward quickly and turned in my direction. Matt and I are both at this point giving incredulous looks at the driver. As the truck passed me and Zach, he rolled down his window and loudly pronounced in a disgusted tone, “awww, GET OVER IT.”

I looked at Matt and said, “did you hear that!?!” Matt urged me toward our car not wanting to further mess with this character who obviously lacked a sense of value for the life and safety of a woman and her child. As the driver had gotten out of his truck at this point, I swung around, pointed and shouted at the man in my most serious and angry tone- “YOU JUST ALMOST HIT ME AND MY CHILD. I GET IT- STUFF HAPPENS. I’M NOT FREAKING OUT OR ANYTHING. BUT DO NOT SAY AWW GET OVER IT.”

The man- an old, out-of-shape, evil Santa Clause doppelganger who was smoking a cigar, sporting a truckers hat and soiled white t-shirt- just walked off. Later, my dad said I was lucky he didn’t have a gun (or, if he did, that he didn’t pull it out). I guess I should keep that in mind in the future but I just couldn’t help it. Don’t nearly run over my child and then insult me as icing-on-the-cake. I was shaking for a long time after this incident.

Moving forward, I guess I need to insert a lesson into my plans on- if you almost run someone over, apologize rather than telling them to get over it. It seems to me to be a given but evidently it’s not and is a fact that needs to be taught.

1 comment:

Jolee Burger said...

That sucks. I hope that dude gets what's coming to him. [angry mama bear face]