Wednesday, April 18, 2012

{She Said} Ahh the Joys… Stereotype


We are doing propaganda projects in class right now. Today, in one class, I put a group together of students that had been absent when the project was presented. One of these students is Asian.

At one point during class the group was talking with another student and said that they would really be “boss” (this is young person code for awesome) if they got the project finished by tomorrow. One student in the group said, “we would have to have a party at [the Asian student’s] house.” The outside student, at that point said, “a party with noodles!?” I asked if the student meant pool noodles, and then the Asian student said “no, with Asian noodles.” Feeling the need to address this cultural stereotyping, I responded with, “now, you cannot assume that student has noodles at their house.” To which the Asian student responded, “no but you can assume that I have rice.”

Well, alright then. He evidently doesn’t mind the stereotyping. I, probably inappropriately, laughed.

No comments: