I don’t make any secret about the fact that Thanksgiving isn’t my favorite. It holds only unpleasant memories for me but every year I try and change that and most of the time it doesn’t work.
Being that I so openly am disenchanted with it, people have really opened up to me about their negative feelings about the holiday as well- this got me to thinking. “Why does this poor bird holiday land on so many people’s radars as a negative experience?” Here is my conclusion…
It’s the first.
This is the first of the holiday season and as such, people and families are forced together after a year of casualness and spotty time together. They aren’t used to the coordination. They aren’t used to the togetherness. They have long forgotten the boundaries they swore last year that they would have up when this time of year came around again.
Also, expectations are too high. People feel like it sets the tone for the season and so everyone has to be there and happy and the food has to be yummy darn it! When it isn’t people assume that it is going to ruin the WHOLE SEASON.
Finally, there is a lot of anticipation of what comes next. While not always consciously, the people in charge of buying the gifts, cooking the meals, hosting the parties, etc see a month of a lot of work commencing when Thanksgiving rolls around.
By the time we get to Christmas we generally have all the schedule, and relational kinks worked out and everyone can just breathe a sign of relief because this marks the end of the craziness.
Keep all that in mind when approaching Thanksgiving. Maybe all of these get to you… maybe only one but find a way to battle your Turkey Demons (if you have any to fight) and give Thanksgiving it’s fair shot at being pleasant for you. Shake a tail feather! (Yea I just threw that in there because it seemed like I should.)
In closing... I just found this funny.
2 days ago
1 comment:
This is a good theory; I hadn't thought of it that way but you're right about poor Thanksgiving being this kick-off for a whole season of busyness. Christmas season kind of makes me mad though - I conceptually prefer the idea of a holiday that's just about being with family and being glad for what you have, versus a holiday that's become generally more about what you want, but all the social expectations about Christmas make it hard to enjoy either holiday sometimes. It takes a lot of effort anyway to stay out of the madness!
Post a Comment