Wednesday, October 30, 2013

{She Said} Summer Washington DC Trip

One of the endless benefits to choosing to spend my time with 7th graders during the school year is SUMMER BREAK! This last summer we traveled quite a bit and we kicked it off with a trip to Washington DC. This was, of course, Zach's first trip to our nation's capital. The trip had multiple purposes: see the sights, see some family, and spend some quality time with my best buddy, Rachel (Aunt Ray Ray for Zach). The week before the trip, I made an excel spreadsheet with an itenerary for the family to stick to - I only tell you that because I thought you would find it amusing. Maybe you think, "of course you did, who wouldn't" or maybe it's, "who does that!?!"
 
After touching down in DC...
We started with the National Zoo. Zach loves zoos and this was no exception. They have some pretty neat animals at the National Zoo. Boo, of course, loves the pandas. Zach tends to love the bigger animals- this trip, I belive the favorite was the lion. Zach spent some time roaring at the lion... and the lion roaring back.
 
The orangatangs can climb out of their enclosure and over the path on these wires. Evidently this doesn't happen all that often but it happened several times while we were sitting, taking a break.
I'm pretty sure we cut infront of another couple waiting to take their picture here. Ooops. If you're reading this, sorry.
We rented a car one day and drove out to see some family in West Virginia. Zach made a new best friend in one of my cousin's sons (I guess they are second cousins). So, since we had a make-shift baby-sitter, Matt and I got to play cards and visit more than usual.
Adam wore Zach out.
The next day, we went to Mt. Vernon. I have been there several times and always enjoy it a lot. In travels, I always especially enjoy visiting old homes, castles, manors, etc. I guess I like the social aspect of history in old homes. Mt. Vernon is one of my favorites.
Zach had fun running around and exploring the grounds.
There were also enough visual and child-friendly aspects to the museum that Zach got into that.
The next day was a museum day. And a rainy day.
We had another museum day/ capitol day.
He enjoyed this more than this picture seems to show. I actually really loved doing this with him. This carousel on the national mall is something I have always seen but never done because it felt a little silly as an adult. Now that I had Zach with me, it felt like a must.
Here, this picture is a little more like it...
After that, we visited one of Matt's favorites- The National Air and Space Museum.
One of my cousins met up with us that day and walked around with us.
After the museum we went and walked around the Capitol and the Supreme Court buildings.
Here is Zach enjoying the staircase.
After that we went to one of the new museums, National Museum of the American Indian. They had a great kids exhibit.
Flying with a two-year-old... it wasn't the most fun thing I have ever done but we made it.

1 comment:

Higginski said...

We loved exploring and having Alexandria-couch time with y'all! Come back anytime :)