Saturday, February 28, 2015

Nate's Room

We put off getting Nate's room together for entirely too long. This was mainly due to how the pregnancy fell in the year. I was sick and tired all summer. Then I was at the beginning of the school year and busy with that. Then we were into fall festivities. Then holidays. And next thing you know, it was January and the baby was about to come and he didn't have a room ready yet. But we rallied and got it done in time for people to be able to see it at my shower and really only a few weeks before Nate made his big debut.

I love how his room turned out. I think it is a room that he will be able to grow into but at the same time it is a very calm space for him as a baby. I have already done plenty of nursing in there (hence the TV in the room) and have enjoyed it immensely.

The theme is ABC's/ Children's Literature and Books. My plan was for the colors to be brown, orange, and turquoise but it became more grey/taupe than brown. The starting point for the room was the large cloth mural- my parents made this for my nursery before I was born. It was in the majority of my bedrooms growing up and then it traveled from attic to attic as I have moved as an adult.

Matt painted the room... including those awesome stripes on the one wall. And I focused on the decorative accents. I was VERY pregnant when I hung all of those letter decals on the one wall. A lot of acts of love went into this room.

So, since this is my second time around, I realized in setting this nursery up that I have some "MUST HAVES" for my nurseries. Here they are...
  • Since I breastfeed in the room, it needs to have a comfortable chair (preferably one that rocks) and a T.V.
  • a side table by the formerly mentioned chair for the remote, my drink, my phone, etc while I am feeding the baby
  • a basket/box with easily ACCESSIBLE cloth diapers (we call them nappies in my house)
  • a well stocked and organized diaper changing station- I LOVE my diaper organizing basket
  • a lamp or some other secondary lighting so I don't always have to have the overhead light on
  • a good organizational system for clothes, bibs, blankets, etc
Without further ado...