Wednesday, April 12, 2017

And Wyatt Enters the World!

On March 9th, I went into labor. In the wee hours of the morning of March 10th, Wyatt was born.

As with the other two boys, I had a feeling the day before I went into labor that it was imminent. I woke up at 4ish in the morning with very mild contractions about every 30-45 minutes or so. We got up. We went about our day as normal. Got the boys off to school. I did laundry. Etc.

I actually had a doctors appointment that morning. He checked and I was about 3 cm dilated but the baby was still extremely high. So, who knew. This could be days. None of us really thought so though.
Labor petered on throughout the day with contractions inconsistent and pretty mild. My dad came over with his bags packed to stay here if things progressed. The plan was that he was going to be here with Zach and Nate would go over to a friend's house. I tried to rest, eat, walk, etc. Sometimes the contractions would be more uncomfortable than other times but I was able to (somewhat) go through the day.

At dinner time, dad decided to stay the night. I got the guest bedroom ready for him and helped Matt put the boys to bed. Soon after everyone was tucked into bed, I told Matt and we should probably go to the hospital before this labor got out of hand.

**side note** you might remember that we almost didn't make it to the hospital with the birth of the other two boys. We were bound and determined to not let that happen again.

When we got to the hospital, despite laboring all day, I was only dilated to 4 cm and the baby was still REALLY high. So we were asked to walk for an hour and then, if I hadn't progressed, I was going to be sent home. Well, I was bound and determined not to be sent home...but I knew I wasn't in control...

During our walking, things got more and more intense. When we were done with our hour (this is about 11:30 P.M.), I was dilated to a 5+ which evidently was enough to get me admitted. It was then that I threw in the towel and asked for the epidural. I was tired and this baby didn't seem to want to move down any time soon and my intense contractions were coming every 3 minutes.

After getting situated into our room, the anesthesiologist came. The epidural didn't go well. Despite trying a couple times and working on it for an hour, they couldn't get into the epidural space so it didn't work. They gave me a different shot that was supposed to last 2 hours but it only lasted 30 minutes. Evidently 30 minutes was all I needed because after breaking my water and letting me rest a bit, the pain came back with a vengeance and my doctor told me I could push. I pushed twice and out came Wyatt Gilpin.
8 lbs 2 oz
21.75 in
A beautiful newborn!


No comments: