So, I get myself into predicaments- the type of predicaments that lead me to directing week long, over night, summer camp programs for kids ages 8-10. Then, to add to that, I can’t do these projects myself because while I might be able to plan a curriculum and facilitate activities, I need at least one counselor to every 4-5 kids. This is where I get people I love into predicaments. Such an event occurred last summer…
When doing some service work at this camp in March, the coordinator asked if I would be interested in directing a camp. To which, you would think, I might respond with a “let me give it some thought,” or “I’ll talk to my husband and see what our plans are.” No, I believe my response was pretty much “SURE- just let me know when and where!” So, then I needed a curriculum. I decided to do a character development camp. Each day had a different character trait as its focus and all lessons, activities, etc centered around that trait.
Monday: Compassion
Tuesday: Team Work
Wednesday: Perseverance
Thursday: Service
Friday: Honesty
I titled the camp "No One's Looking" after the age old cliche of "character is who you are when noone's looking." The lessons were biblically centered and relatively easy to pull together. I began searching high and low for activities that would work with the different traits. I had to develop a letter home to the campers to let them and their parents know what to expect and what they needed to bring.
Then I needed some counselors. Ahem. I will start by saying that I love the people that surround me and follow me into battle without asking questions and just trust that I will take care of them. I hope I haven’t lost some of that after this experience…
Boo (sister Becky) was immediately on board and for that I love her. I knew I would be able to count on her and that she would be AMAZING with the kiddos. Becky brings light to my world, why wouldn’t I assume that she would be able to do the same for the campers. This along with the faultless support she has provided for me throughout our life together- she was my first counselor. Initially, I was just trying to find one girl and one guy counselor, so I turned my attentions toward finding some male influence for the camp. I briefly tried to convince Matt but he wasn’t terribly interested and I didn’t want to pressure him with it because I don’t start off having the intentions of sucking my people into these predicaments. So I started making some calls, sending some e-mails, etc. In all honestly, many of my options just weren’t available when I needed them. Also, how many people are really available to give up a week of work just to go hang out with a bunch of kids. So after my searches weren’t turning out results and I had boy campers signing up for camp, I turned on my charm and went back to my husband. After some hmmming and hawing, making sure I had tried all of my options, and discussing what would be involved, Matt agreed. This was a huge relief for me in that I knew Matt would be the epitome of support and strength for me. He is so good and analyzing safety concerns and being a good soldier and pushing forward that he gave me confidence moving forward with this adventure.
Boo (sister Becky) was immediately on board and for that I love her. I knew I would be able to count on her and that she would be AMAZING with the kiddos. Becky brings light to my world, why wouldn’t I assume that she would be able to do the same for the campers. This along with the faultless support she has provided for me throughout our life together- she was my first counselor. Initially, I was just trying to find one girl and one guy counselor, so I turned my attentions toward finding some male influence for the camp. I briefly tried to convince Matt but he wasn’t terribly interested and I didn’t want to pressure him with it because I don’t start off having the intentions of sucking my people into these predicaments. So I started making some calls, sending some e-mails, etc. In all honestly, many of my options just weren’t available when I needed them. Also, how many people are really available to give up a week of work just to go hang out with a bunch of kids. So after my searches weren’t turning out results and I had boy campers signing up for camp, I turned on my charm and went back to my husband. After some hmmming and hawing, making sure I had tried all of my options, and discussing what would be involved, Matt agreed. This was a huge relief for me in that I knew Matt would be the epitome of support and strength for me. He is so good and analyzing safety concerns and being a good soldier and pushing forward that he gave me confidence moving forward with this adventure.
Three were now four. We finalized plans. I decided to use some teenagers as counselors-in-training, though my counselors were new to this as well and none of us probably had any business “training” anyone. On July 11th, 2009, we set out to New Braunfels, Texas. I had forgotten my pillow, which reduced me to unreasonable tears. We went to Target (I heart you Target).
At first, we were miserable- hot, sweaty, worn out by the energetic children. Slowly we got to know them and love them. We found the hilarity in the things they said and did. We were refreshed by the simple ways they entertained each other and themselves.
A couple anecdotes…
• Matt had a camper that was really intrigued by his arm and leg hair. He would pet the hair and talk about how soft it was. This same camper at one point proclaimed in the cabin that Matt’s feet didn’t stink but that they smelled like roses.
• Becky’s campers, again, at ages 8-10, were overly interested in who liked who and who was going to be boyfriend/girlfriend when they left camp.
• We had one camper steal a razor and shave their legs even though they were told not to
• On the day we took an excursion trip to a natural spring fed pool, Matt, Cindy, Becky and I rode in our own car to the pool while all the campers and counselors-in-training went in a van that wouldn’t fit the rest of us. On the way back our car lost sight of the van and got lost. It suddenly hit us that all of the counselors were in the car and the kids were going to get back to camp and be left alone to their own devices with only the teenagers to manage them. We finally arrived to the kids running amuck and throwing rocks. Cindy marched into that camp and got everything under control very quickly. Holla Cindy!
• One day we went down to swim in the river- it was Matt’s time off but I know he wouldn’t have swam with us in the river anyway because he is smarter than the rest of us- the rest of us got in the river and slid all over the muck and algae on the rocks and river bed. It was disgusting- I made Becky carry me everywhere. Holla Becky!• One of the Counselors-in-training tried to argue that she was a bigger Twilight fan than me. First off- whatever. Second, she really didn’t have a leg to stand on because I had witnesses with me.
• We had a kid with asthma wake up unable to breathe in the middle of the night. Got that taken care of.
• A couple fun things we did... volunteered at a senior living home and hosted a bowling tournament, smores in the woods, Christmas in July party...
• And I saved the best for last… On Friday, I went up to the camp office during nap time to work on some school work. After about an hour, I started feeling a bit dizzy but I thought it had to do with the air conditioner blowing directly on my face. So, I asked to turn that off and did. Things didn’t get better. I was trying to get a big assignment turned in so that I could be with the kids for the rest of the day. I kept feeling worse and worse but just pushed through because I had to get my assignment turned in. I finally clicked the submit button on my assignment. Luckily, a Camp Coordinator was working in the office at the same time so I turned to her, informed her that I was about to pass out, and asked her to call the medic. I them promptly rolled out of my chair and passed out. I wasn’t out for but a second- hitting the floor jarred me just enough to get me back with it so I could tell the coordinator to get Matt. Over the next hour and a half, I laid flat on the floor slipping in and out of consciousness. Whenever I tried to sit up I would get so dizzy that I would vomit. We didn’t know what the problem was. I struggle with blood sugar levels sometimes so I ate some candy. I tried to get some fluids but vomited that back up. Matt called and talked to dad for a long time. I was given an ultimatum- get better within an hour or go to the emergency room. I finally agreed to a pedia-pop. Avoid these at all costs. It looks like a grape popsicle and it is very deceiving. Yes, there is a hint of grape to it but it is a watered down grape and it is salty. I vomited some of that back up but it held a bit better than other things. I sipped some sprite. I was finally able to sit up long enough that they felt they could move me back to my cabin. Matt brought the car up to the office and practically carried me out to it because no one trusted me to stand when sitting was enough of a challenge. We got back to my cabin I was told to drink a bottle of water every 30 minutes and eat as many crackers as possible. At this point a combination of Matt, dad, and the nurse had decided that I had suffered from a dangerous combination of low blood sugar, dehydration, AND fatigue. So I had to address all issues before I would get to feeling better. I slept for a few hours, waking up every half hour to drink a bottle of water and eat a handful of crackers. I had visitors. When they came to get Matt, no one would tell Becky what was going on so her mind had run wild and she thought I was dying- she yelled for someone to tell her what was going on and they took her away to have a long needless talk with her (after all, she only wanted to know that I was going to be ok). When Becky was pulled away, Cindy was left alone with all of the kids- I still laugh a little thinking about that part of it and this is definitely where the most of my guilt lies in this situation. After those few hours, I was strong enough to go back to the kids in a limited capacity. I slowly got better and everyone at camp was on Jen watch, constantly asking me if I had drunken the right amount of water for the hour and if I had eaten enough at meals. Needless to say- I made a full recovery but that wasn’t a pleasant experience for any of us.
At the time, none of us thought we would do it again. All of my counselors said they would only do it for me (which brings a tear to my eye because I am so honored to have such wonderful people stand by me like that) but that left to their own devices they would just check this off of their to-do list and call it a day. By the end of the week, we all had great memories and a bond between each other that can’t quite be explained. All this is to say that lately I have been considering this again. I really doubt it is something I will do this summer because things are pretty crazy this summer but it will keep whispering to me at the back of my mind.
.jpg)
2 comments:
So, in retrospect, I really did have a good time. Not every second of every day, but I did have a good time with y'all and enjoyed the experience! I thank you for inviting me and trusting me to be a part of your group! Kaia had a blast, and yes, I would do it again for you, but that's it...LOL! You're right so many memories, there should be no guilt, just lots of laughs! Which is what this blog brought me! Love you guys!!!!
I do hope that last comment came through ok, because I had to create an account, but....I have to say I completely forgot about the weirdness of some of those kids, such as the leg and arm hair thing, and the blue sun block ritual that included the same kid....LOL!!!! I really did have a great time! I will never look at a hula hoop or dough or a roll of tape the same way again....and the river is nasty, walking a quarter mile for food in the heat is for the birds!!! And lifeguards are icky....I'm just sayin'..........
Post a Comment