Monday, January 11, 2010

{She Said} Get Me a Turkey

So end of last week I decided that I would get a turkey over the weekend and cook it in the crock pot over the weekend so that Matt and I could eat healthily off of that sucker for the week. My crock pot holds a 6- 6.5 lb turkey breast so that could be some pretty good eating for the two of us. The plan was perfect until I got lazy this weekend and didn't go and get the bird. Matt graciously offered to go after school today so that I could cook it tomorrow while we were doing our things (work and school). When I got home, this is what Matt had gotten at the grocery store...

No, the picture does not deceive... it is a 3lb boneless turkey breast. It is smaller than Matt's hand. I would like to leave the story at that and pretend it was a silly mistake by my silly husband so that we could all have laughs at the expense of that pathetic little turkey breast. But, alas, Matt was actually quite crafty in dealing with a grocery store debacle. Evidently, our trusty neighborhood Kroger only had 9 lb turkeys- not going to fit in my crock pot. So Matt got this little fellow and other supplemental dinner items for us to have a lovely turkey dinner tonight. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like turkey tonight as it was intended to go into the crock pot for feasting tomorrow and the rest of the week. So...

we now have an itty bitty teeny turkey in the freezer to be cooked tomorrow or Wednesday for dinner. All you brilliant homemakers out there, don't worry, I don't live under any impression that our new little friend will feed the man and I for the rest of the week. The best laid plans...

1 comment:

Avid Readers said...

Sure it will…….it only takes a little creativity!!!!!!!

Sliced turkey is 16 ounces per pound, however chopped turkey is 5 ounces per cup.

Here are some links to help......

Sandwiches:
http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=9777 - two sandwiches uses less than ½ pound … that is 8 ounces…..

Pot pies:
http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=47518 - two servings would be a little more than ¾ cup chopped or about 4 ounces

Turkey and Rice Salad
http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=41261 – less than ½ cup per serving or 5 ounces for both of you…….

Turkey Club Salad
http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=16083 – less than ½ cup per serving or about 5 ounces for both of you…….

Now that is 4 meals and only used 22 ounces ……..not even a 1 ½ pounds yet……..the rest of the week really should not be a problem!!!!!!!!

Perhaps Matt did indeed take both the size of the crock pot AND the needed amount into consideration.......he was just to modest when talking about it!!!!!