Sunday, January 24, 2010

{She Said} Great Book Race of 2010

I like to tease Matt about how much faster I read than him. I do this by consistently letting him know in a big way when I finish a book. It has been as big as me tossing a book across the room while exclaiming "well, another one down" and as small as me closing the book with force so he knows it's concluded. To this he usually responds with a "you're done with ANOTHER one." It has become even more of a thing lately because Matt is trying to make it through the Twilight Saga...

As an aside- if any men read this, you are going to possibly want to judge my husband for it. He is reading it because I am so enamored with the books and he wants to know what I am talking about all of those times I refer to it. This is not something Matt would read if left to his own devices; it is something he is reading because he wants to be a part of this thing I love so much. It really makes him amazing. Think about that.

Anyway, he doesn't want the end to be ruined for him so I am not allowed to talk about the books around him. Well this has been going on for 6-9 months now and I have gotten more and more frustrated with not being able to talk about one of my favorite topics. So, he is on Eclipse and it is taking him FOREVER so I like to point out how many books I have completed in the time it has taken him to get through half of Eclipse (it's 5).

So, I posted what we are reading right now on the little shelfari thing (which, by the way, I don't really care for- I wish they would come up with a better gadget for this). I am reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and then I read Dear John, a Nicholas Sparks book that is coming out in movie form next month. Matt is reading the Twilight Saga and the Family Law Book. This is hilarious to me- let me explain... the juxtaposition of Matt reading the Twilight Saga and the Law Books is ridiculous. On top of that, I give Matt a hard time about reading slowly but he is reading about injunctions ect. while I read young adult novels that my students have suggested and love stories. So all my teasing always has the undercurrent of HA- I read faster than you but what I read is SO LAME compared to what you read. I also need to note that if the contest was who reads court cases faster, Matt would wipe the floor with me. All I really have is just that magic number- I have read 5 books in the time it has taken him to read half of one. Without all the details, that looks like I am winning. I am all about winning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not blame him for taking that long. I have to say the appeal for me slacked as the books went on. Not saying that is what he is experiencing, but I can relate. I like how you are dominating though...LOL!!! Provide any recommendations if you run across anything I might like! Oh, and the fact that his reading will be providing household income some day, I think his holds more weight than yours....LOL!!!!!

Becky said...

PS where is the he said on this one...we are waiting in anticipation!