Friday, February 19, 2010

{She Said} Bring Your Husband to Work Day

For a couple months I have been working with the English teachers on my team on a little cross-curricular activity. Today we executed the plan.

They just finished a book that dealt with the Civil Rights Movement and then I just finished studying slavery so we had all three of our classes in the library today to complete different stations concerning parts of the Civil Rights Movement. We had 8 stations…

1- Jim Crow Laws- students created protest posters
2- Day in the life- students wrote journal entries as if they were African American during the civil rights movement
3- Civil Rights Actions-students analyze pictures of actions that Civil Rights Activists took
4- Political Cartoons- students interpret cartoons published during that time
5- Reactions- students analyze pictures of reactions to activists’ actions
6- Voices- students listen to a song by Billie Holiday and read poetry from the times and then write their own poem
7- I Have a Dream- students watch MLK’s speech and answer questions
8- Court Cases- students choose one of three court cases- Plessy v. Furguson, Brown v. Board of Education, or Dredd Scott- and write an opening statement as if they were a lawyer in the case.
The last one was by far my favorite because not only was it effective in engaging the students, the best local law student came and worked with the students all day on their opening statements. The Man sat in a ‘U’ of tables, surrounded by students and helped them not only figure out the cases themselves but helped them come up with an effective opening statement. It was neat.
 With our powers combined… we will EDUCATE Keller’s youth!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Every morning when I leave for work I say begrudgingly, I wish it was bring your puppy to work day...

Avid Readers said...

Humm......I believe Wimberley has established a monthly "bring your kids" to work day for all residents!!!!!!!