Sunday, February 21, 2010

[He Said] The Great Sea of Kids

So Friday was a super long and exhausting fun day...  I spent all day at Jen's school volunteering with the kiddos.  Seventh grade classes have been studying civil rights during American history.  I was called upon to assist with several Supreme Court cases.  That stuff is right up my alley, and I was happy to help (I also got pro bono credit for doing it, which is something I need to apply toward my law degree.  So, it was a win/win.)

I have always regarded what Jen does for a living as challenging and demanding.  Calling her a hard worker would be an understatement.  But now, I have even a greater respect for her daily responsibilities.  Friday consisted of managing a library full of, what was at times, about 160 adolescents.  She worked with a couple of other teachers, but the sea of kids was fairly overwhelming.  Not to fear, however, the teachers were victorious.

Jen has a good group of kids this year, and the day was all-in-all a pretty good day.  I would do it again.  I don't know how much help I was or was not, but I felt like an indentured servant fearing for my life active participant for sure.  One of the "stations" that the students had to visit involved writing a mock opening statement to present in front of a jury.  I enjoy that type of work, and that was my assigned task; so I kept busy the whole day doing my part.

We all survived.

No comments: