Wednesday, March 24, 2010

{She Said} Movie Watching Drama

Very little was accomplished this last weekend to ensure proper rest for school on Monday.

We did rent a few movies including Up in the Air and Did you Hear About the Morgans?- this led to some deep analysis of Matt's and my dealings with one another and movies.

Loved Up in the Air- well acted. However, it brought out a critical difference in Matt and I as movie connoisseurs. It drives Matt crazy because I tend to do other things (like blog ahem) while we are watching movies. How I know he is annoyed is that when he realizes I am zoned on something else, he will pause the movie and stare at me until I notice that the pause was not just because he needed to refill his coke or popcorn bowl (we rarely watch a movie with a bowl of popcorn but the coke thing is true) and look up at him. He then usually asks if he should rewind because I just missed an integral part of the movie. Sorry. This happened several times during Up in the Air.

Finally, in order to cease the frustration, I did some deep psychoanalysis (something I dabble in when I have free time) of the situation and this is what I came up with… Matt is a detail guy. He notices all the little nuances in the acting and settings and puts all of those pieces together into one big puzzle. I am a big picture person. If I miss things, I can fill in the blanks in my head easily so I get a little bogged down in all the details and like to turn my focus elsewhere. Thank goodness for my mad analysis skills- it saved our marriage (this really wasn’t that big of a deal and was dealt with laughingly). Matt has finally accepted the situation and after half of the movie with several pauses, we were able to finish the movie uninterrupted. I’m good. I am also glad Matt is always there to explain things when I am confused because I've missed something... yea yea, if I was paying attention the first time...

As for Did you Hear About the Morgans?- it was generally cute and funny. Nothing special but, as far as light-hearted comedies go, it was a good one. Not brilliant, but we can’t expect that of them all, can we?

1 comment:

Higginski said...

I really liked Up in the Air! I'm glad you did too.