Sunday, March 7, 2010

{She Said} UP! Downer

In preparation for what we hoped to be a lazy weekend at home, Matt and I went to the video store on Friday after work. We came out with Couples Retreat (in our opinion, not worth your time and that is all the time I am going to give it on here) and UP!

To start- I loved UP! Thought it was a precious story with precious characters and I get the moral etc. That being said, I don’t know that I will see this movie again any time soon. I don’t deal well with movies that shove in my face that Matt and I will not be alive and well together forever. We both struggle with the concept that, most likely, one of us will have to exist without the other one at some point. We live in the truth about that fact and our faith lets us know that though we may be parted here on earth, we will be reunited but I don’t like thinking about what happens in between. Again, I get the moral. Was it a sweet movie- yes. Was the point to make me think about my husband dying- no. But it made me a blubbery mess for about 30 minutes even after the movie was over.

Don’t get me wrong. I can deal. I just don’t like my thoughts about it so sweetly and vividly sparked. I don’t know- I guess it’s just life, and those moments do make me appreciate what I have while I have it.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Higginski said...

Justin and I saw that movie in the theater and the result was hand-holding (we aren't hand-holders) and plenty of tears on my part. I completely agree with you - the movie was so good and sweet and had many great moments, but when I think about it, I immediately get melancholy thinking about the reality of life.

Becky said...

Jenny- I don't want to think about which one of us will die first. In theory it will be you because you are older but if its okay with you, I would like to go first. There was a re-run of Gilmore Girls on yesterday where the grandfather has to go into the hospital and the grandmother starts freaking out and says that he needs to get better because she has to go first and he sweetly says "Yes dear you can go first." Although I prefer to think of it like The Notebook where they go together.