Thursday, September 2, 2010

{She Said} Another Year, Another Dollar

A lot of changes at my school this year. For those of you that will know what I am talking about and care, here is the general run down.

1. From a 9 weeks schedule to a 6 weeks schedule
2. Flexible Scheduling which means a normal 8 period day M, T, F and blocked schedule W, Th.
3. Mandatory weekly department planning meetings
4. Grading policy changes which include but are not limited to the following:
  •  Late work can only be deducted a maximum of 10 pts (even if the assignment is weeks late)
  • Late work can be turned in at any point in the 6 weeks (yes, even on the last day of the grading period if it was assigned the first)
  • Test grades can only account for 10% of the overall grade
  • All grades (including papers and projects) have to be entered into the grade book and returned 72 hours after the assignment was turned in
  • Every assignment can be redone for a grade of up to 100 if the original grade was failing. If the student chooses to redo an assignment, they must be offered a time outside of class to be re-taught.
5. Considerably larger class sizes
6. A 20 minute tutorial period has been added two days a week- we are supposed to develop curriculum for at least half of this time
7. Our white boards must have the following written and updated every day: date, objective, agenda, warm up, guided activity, independent activity, closure, homework.

So, I'm tired, overwhelmed, and barely treading water but they pay me so I guess I'll keep with it.

On top of that, I don't know the kids yet because, you know, that takes time. Whatever. So, they don't get my jokes- my funny banter is often met with crickets chirping and me laughing at myself on the inside (or on the outside, and then I look REALLY cool). When I inform them that I just made a funny, they do the pity laugh and I have to force back the phrase that comes to mind then, "you know, I am way cooler than you just by being 15 years older than you." They are starting to get me but are a little scared (as they should be) and I will hope to keep that bit of fear throughout the year but a balance needs to be struck so they will at least laugh at my jokes because, you know, I'm funny.

3 comments:

Higginski said...

So, as a person not at all in-the-know about educational methods...it appears there are rules being put into place to make future adults lazier and more undisciplined. Nice! At least I don't have to worry about some young go-getter taking my job when I'm in my 50s.

Hang strong, you're the only hope they've got! You can do it!

Emily said...

wow, that seems like alot of change all at once...at least you have a sense of humor to get you through it!

Avid Readers said...

"Considerably larger class size"? I sure hope that means you got a new classroom.....the one I visited last year already had so many desks that you had to turn sideways to walk between the rows of desks!