Labor was, from my perspective, intense to say the least. Of course, Jen had the hard part, but I did what little I could to assist. I am amazed by, and proud of, the way Jen handled the event. There is no way such an experience can be effortless, but Jen took care of business with a great deal of confidence and grace. We are very blessed that Zach's birth went so smoothly. Zach did, however, make his entrance into the world under less than ideal circumstances. He was born out posterior and with his cord wrapped around his neck a couple of times. Therefore, the effort was more difficult for Jen, but you couldn't tell by watching. In fact, we didn't even know of the trials until after it was all over.
I, no doubt, have a lot to learn about kids and child care. The last ten months, however, have been very enlightening. I am no pro when it comes to a husband's role in child birth, but I could ramble about the topic ad nauseam. I would sum up my advice as follows: Go into the process with a thorough plan but remain flexible when the time comes, be supportive and encouraging at every opportunity, and wear comfortable shoes. Seriously, good shoes are important. I didn't realize how much I was on my feet until they were already killing me. Those are the big points from my expierence anyway.
Jen and I are very lucky to have such great family and friends. I love Jen more and more everyday, and Zach is a blessing to our family. Here's to an exciting new adventure!
2 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment