Between vitals being taken, medications, newborn screenings, diaper and feeding checks, lactation consultants, photographers, doctors, minor procedures, etc Matt and I barely had time to really take in what had just happened. We got maybe a total of 8 hours of sleep during our 48 hour stay. A big part of me was grateful to be there where someone was monitoring that everything Zach was doing was normal and healthy but another part of me wanted (and needed) some peace.
A couple things I think are a crock… the nurses are on your butt to feed every 2.5- 3 hours- a problem due to the fact that after being born babies are in shock and sleep for the first 24 hours. I had just had a major event occur with my body- sleep is the best medicine and I didn’t get any. Doesn’t seem like the most effective treatment plan. Everyone at the hospital says that if breastfeeding hurts you aren’t doing it right- I have a big “whatever” for that line of thinking.
Zach had his first breakdown just a little more than 24 hours after his birth. I freaked out and began crying while Matt just looked at him pondering what to do. Finally we changed his diaper- that did the trick. Don’t judge us- we’re new.
This makes it sound horrible and it really wasn’t. The nurses were wonderful (except for one that talked way too much and had a stupid sense of humor which I had less than zero patience for). The room was lovely and even the food wasn’t too bad. One fun thing was that, since we were up at 5 A.M., Matt and I watched the Royal Wedding on the morning of the 29th. Come to find out, Matt’s mom and dad watched Charles and Diana’s wedding while they were in the hospital after Matt was born.
Anyway… On a high note, we were surrounded by love with visitors, gifts, and notes of excitement and support (Matt and I were on our phones constantly reading our special messages on the blog, facebook, and texts). We felt the love.
2 comments:
I'm always amazed how quickly the photos of women post-birth go from TIRED to normal looking. The last photo of you is so bright and perky. Good job!
Also - LOVE the balloons! ;)
Of course breastfeeding hurts at first! Your nipples are doing something new! They should say that if the pain doesn't go away that you aren't doing it right. You look great!
Post a Comment