Sorry to those of you that are beautifully one with Mother Nature but…
Breastfeeding is not lovely or really all that natural. It hurts even though many might want to say it doesn’t… it does get better but there are always reasons for it to be uncomfortable (for example, take my little over zealous eater). It forces me to be constantly accessible to my child which makes it hard to for me to feel like a real person outside of a food source.
Do you know that some actually recommend that when the child gets worked up that the mother not be the one to calm them because it overwhelms the child since they can smell the milk and get worked into a hunger in addition to what they were already upset about. That makes me like my child’s drug. I can literally drive my child crazy because I am his refrigerator- i.e. his addiction.
Let me also tell you about his eating style… they call him a “piranha” in the lactation world. At times, he latches on, growls, and then shakes his head back and forth. You can see what I mean by over zealous eater and why discomfort happens no matter how much I conquer this process. He is also what they call a “gourmet” in that he likes to take his time. I can be feeding him for over an hour each time. What a champ my son is.
The loveliness factor in all this… I am my child’s ultimate soother. I know I said I shouldn’t calm him when he is worked up but if things get irreconcilably bad I can feed him and all is right again in the world. Matt and I refer to it as the blank slate- it’s as if all that happened before is erased. While I’m nursing we are calm and quiet in our togetherness- this is something that is rare other than when he is feeding. All the other times, he is so busy either learning about the world around him or sleeping that he is generally distracted- not when he is nursing. I also get to give the little guy mid feeding kisses on his cheeks… those are the best!
All that being said- as much as it is frustrating to me, I do have a really hard time when someone else gives my child a bottle. Isn’t that ridiculous. He is mine. I do the feeding here. Get it right.
2 days ago
4 comments:
I can understand where you're coming from, Malachi has some 'piranha' like tendencies as well, in addition to sometimes clawing the heck out of me when he gets a bit excited- yowch! But I wouldn't trade it for anything and it makes me sad that in a few weeks I'll be pumping when I go back to work which will probably lower my supply. I love it, even the tiny claw marks on my neck are a little endearing.
You're Zach's own personal brand of heroin!
Yes piranha seems to be the theme here.It's jessica from the bradley class. Yeah, I've been MIA. Haven't gotten a chance to tell you guys, but our little man...well he was born with teeth. Yeah. Real. Live. Chompers. He's suppose to put his tongue over his teeth to nurse. I stress "suppose to". He gets it right two out of three times. =( It's tough, but we're not giving up. But when he does get it right, it's a really sweet time. Strange, but sweet.
Love the posts! I totally get what you are saying...the ability to calm so easily is addicting too and one of the amny, many reasons nursing is hard to give up! Zach is a cutie and one lucky baby boy. I gotta get over there to see you all and smell that sweet baby head!
Post a Comment