You know, call it an occupational hazard but sometimes I think if I have to repeat myself one more time I might punch someone. And in my line of work, punches are frowned upon.
When I say, repeat myself, I am not talking about having to say something six times (once to each class), I mean saying something... "your essays need to be atleast 4 sentences," and then two seconds later hearing a, "wait, what?" and then having to repeat myself immediately by saying the exact same thing I just said.
You're thinking, "just don't repeat it." Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? Let me tell you why. Because if I don't repeat it, they won't do it right and then when they get a bad grade I am not dealing with their parents and the "well, you should have taught your child to listen when instructions are being given," argument doesn't go over big here.
Now, don't worry, before I repeat I often give the "are you kidding me" face followed by the droning "I can't believe I am saying this again" voice. And they giggle because they realize that it is silly that I have to repeat such simple instructions and then I smile because I don't want the student to feel ridiculed or made fun of. (By the way, you're welcome, said student) But then I feel my head pound in agony over the fact that I choose to do this for a living- I choose to repeat myself over and over again. Who does that?
Oh the things we do for the love of the children. What did YOU do today for the love of the children???
2 days ago
1 comment:
I flew to Long Island to spend three days documenting teenagers who volunteer as junior firefighters for a work project. I can't say it was entirely for the love of children, but come to think of it, I do admire them for doing something useful with their Friday nights.
Post a Comment