Wednesday, June 6, 2012

{She Said} THOSE Friends

I have changed a lot since college. Back then, I was overly energetic, involved, and a goofball. I was super social and always up to entertain and be entertained.


Since then I have recognized more of an introverted streak and really succumb to that side of my personality. I really enjoy quiet time at home and entertaining has often become exhausting rather than invigorating.

With that, I still appreciate good hang out time but I want it to be effortless. I don’t want to have to put on a show, have a clean house, come up with entertainment, etc. All this leads to a premium on THOSE friends. You know the ones you don’t have to even stock the toilet paper for because they even know where that is.

A couple years ago we went through some major losses of a few of THOSE friends as they moved across country. It was all right around when Matt graduated law school and I subsequently suffered my miscarriage. Not being one to really dwell on what’s not there, I didn’t think about the loss of support or presence, just kept the texts rolling to my buds. I didn’t share what I was going through- I don’t process in that way and I am not a big phone talker. We then got pregnant and I went through that from afar as well. I still valued their friendships but it was distant now- always picking right up where it left off but missing all the in between.

I am happy to say THEY ARE BACK. There are two families in particular- one moved back a couple months ago and the other will be back by the end of the month. I’m euphoric. I am really good at not grieving- telling myself and everyone else that I am fine. It hasn’t been until now that they are back that I am realizing what I missed exactly and how hard it’s been. I love you guys.

Now, there are still others out there that we still miss and their moving back would really make life a little slice of heaven here in Texas but I take what I can get. We are also very lucky to have all of our family here. I don’t want to diminish any of that. I just really appreciate these recent gifts!