Wednesday, June 20, 2012

{She Said} Traffic Karma

The other day I was driving out to dad's land during rush hour traffic... on a Friday... by myself... with a whiny baby in the back of the car (to whom Elmo singing had long since stopped appeasing). I ended up on a long stretch of highway that was bumper to bumper and, in a few miles, was about to fork off, making it very important for everyone to be in the correct lane. A lady in a tiny, beat up, blue car with a cigarette between two fingers hanging out the window moved in front of me. This has to be the most generous rush hour person I have ever seen because for the next 20 minutes or so ANYONE that wanted to change into our lane got to come over in front of her. She would aggressively wave at drivers (with their turn indicators on) that couldn’t possible see her to signal that they were welcome to come over into her lane. We (because at some point I decided that being behind her included me in these good deeds) had to have let around 30 cars in front of us on this stretch of highway.

At one point, maybe around car 12, I started to think about what makes such a generous letter inner. Maybe she is just that way naturally. God blessed her with a very philanthropic heart in the area of peer-in-traffic management. Maybe she had a horrific experience where she wasn’t able to get into her needed lane at one point and that deviated her route like 15 or 20 minutes thus making her late for something VERY important. Maybe she decided at the beginning of this trip, “hey, you know what, I’ve got time, I am going to let EVERY PERSON that needs into my lane over.”

This is the thing- as generous as she was being to everyone else… she was being THAT inconsiderate of me. Whatever. I got over it when I started attributing her good deeds to my karma as well. Who she really needs to answer to is Zach. He finally just gave up and went to sleep but not before shaking a couple fists in her general direction.

No comments: