Students tend to do this thing… ummm… how do you say it…
insult my intelligence.
Students are supposed to be working. I look over and student
isn’t working, doesn’t even have his/her work out, and is chatting up neighbor
student. I say, “student, you are not working, and what’s worse, you are
distracting others from working. I have a problem with that.” Here is where it
gets fun/ insulting. Said student nods (good for you, at least we don’t need to
tack rude onto your list of infractions) and starts rummaging through his/her
binder as if to be looking for the work. Here’s the thing, student, one of two
things is happening here: 1) you knew you didn’t have the assignment with you, that’s
why you didn’t even both trying to get it out to work on it or 2) you chose to
not look for the assignment and chatted-it-up instead, despite the fact that I
asked you to work on the assignment. Neither looks good for you, so don’t
insult my intelligence by acting like, now that I have bestowed my words of
wisdom on you, you are now inspired to do the work you shirked a minute ago.
Two old adages come to mind: “I’m not that stupid.” And “I wasn’t born
yesterday.”
I need to speak their language…
#iwasntbornyesterday
No comments:
Post a Comment