Sunday, May 30, 2010

{She Said} A Very Vegas Vacation

As you heard a while back, Matt and I went to Vegas to celebrate our anniversary but more importantly Matt’s graduation (yes, that major post will come next- your patience is much appreciated). In fear of breaking the “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” mantra, I’ll just hit the high points.

We stayed at The Venetian and it was beautiful. It worked well because I am not a gambler but there were plenty of things for me to keep busy with while Matt got his fix. Great places to eat, the mall, shows, etc. Fabulous.
 
Matt was so excited to just be in Vegas that he spent much of a whole day just walking around the mall with me and he actually enjoyed it (as much as possible). We watched one of those human statues. They are better in Italy (sometimes I like to stretch my travel snob abilities… feels good). He was funny though. He popped his collar at one point. 
 
We were some good eaters while there. We like to eat (and I’m afraid it shows). One highlight- if you watch any reality TV, you have heard of the restaurant, TAO. A lot of those crazy cats that frequent my guilty pleasure (reality tv) also frequent this restaurant, usually on reality TV. Just such event occurred WHILE we were eating at TAO- Holly Madison as in Hugh Heffner’s ex-girlfriend and “Girls Next Door” star was celebrating a buddy’s birthday while we were eating. There was a TV crew and everything so watch for it on next season of “Planet Holly” and know when you see it that Matt and I were there. An interesting thing was that they advertised her coming to the restaurant as if she was going to be entertaining guests or at least interacting with them but no, she was just coming for her own dinner. She must feel so objectified. Oh yea, and the food was delicious.
We went to see Blue Man Group. I had seen it in NYC a few years back and expected it to be different- it’s not. Still fun to see and it has been long enough that I didn’t remember a lot of their shticks so still quite entertaining. Here was the best part. There is a part of the show where the men in blue come into the audience and look at people as if it is odd that we are not blue too… maybe it is odd, I don’t know. Anyway, they steal chocolate from one audience member and have another audience member throw the chocolate into one of the blue men’s mouths. Matt was the second, which is funny because he HATES being called out in shows like that. He did a great job- got two of the three chocolate pieces in no problem but had to redo the third. After he was done the blue man came back over to him, they celebrated their success, then he spit the chocolate back into Matt’s hand, which is funny because Matt is a mild germ-a-phobe (though I think anyone would be miffed at this point). I’ll leave you in suspense as to what happened next.
 Mom G, Katelin, Kristin, and Carla gave us their lucky numbers for the roulette table. This won us some good money which we then lost playing our own numbers. Go figure.

We did bet on the Spurs v. Suns game while we were there and lost all that money because evidently the Spurs just couldn't get it done. Go figure... glad we had those lucky numbers.
We only went outside once to walk down to the Bellagio to watch the fountain shows. That is really something to see. I put it high on my “must see” list but I’m a simple girl (funny girl).
The last observation I have (and you may have already been touched by this via my Facebook status) is that everyone in Vegas walks around as if they are at the pool. All I can think of with that is that they either just really love the look of themselves in bathing suits and by the looks of things I can’t figure that to be true. SO that leaves me with the only other conclusion possible… they must feel like they have to be prepared for a swimming pool emergency. If they turned a corner only to find swimming pool there, without hesitation they could jump right in. When I realized this, I was much relieved that they were prepared. I am a sucker for over preparation.

No comments: