Friday, February 25, 2011

{She Said} In Sickness and Health

Matt got his wisdom teeth out on Tuesday.
Being that this was really the first real medical issue he has had other than simple colds, flues, etc., he was quite anxious about this event. For days prior to the surgery, we prepared our cupboards and house for his days of infirmary. The day of, I was pretty sure he would back out. He was very disenchanted by the need for anesthetic and as he read all of the precautions and post op info, he got the “let’s escape out the back door” look.

They finally took him back and told me it would be at least an hour before he would be ready to see me again. With a swift pat on the leg and kiss to the forehead, Matt looked at me as if it might be the last time and left with the nurse.

Thirty minutes later, I was just starting to get uncomfortable in the hard waiting room chairs when the nurse came to get me. My initial reaction was nervousness. It was too soon. I gathered my things and followed her. People don’t actually suffer major complications from wisdom teeth extractions do they? After we got into the hall I asked if everything was alright to which she promptly replied “yep, he’s done.” Hmmm. Then I asked if it went well. “They all came right out without having to cut, drill, or saw.”

When we got into the room, Matt was awake with that sleepy expression you only get from people on meds and gauze in his mouth. He was a vision. The nurse asked if he knew me and he just turned to me and smiled a very lazy smile. In case he was having trouble placing who I was, I told him that I had to go to the bathroom, to give him a little reminder. He chuckled. As a side note, when I actually left to use the bathroom, evidently he looked to the nurse and told her I was an angel- this is not a word Matt has ever used to describe me before. The doctor and nurse gave me the run down on the healing process and all the post op rules and regulations. Matt made a gesture that implied that I should be taking notes. The bottom line was that this was an unusual extraction that would heal quickly and shouldn’t really cause him much trouble.

They held Matt there for awhile waiting for the anesthetic to wear off. Matt and I had the same conversations over and over again… He was bothered by the blood pressure machine. He thought I looked good that day. He was surprised to see a Garfield band-aid on his arm. He was curious about the length of the procedure. He wanted to make sure to get the nurse’s name. He insisted that he was completely with it and clear.

We eventually headed home, stopping on the way for the quintessential “I just got my wisdom teeth out” treat: a milk shake. As we settled in for our lazy day, I brought Matt the 600mg of ibuprofen the doctor had told him to take since Matt was already convinced (in his doped up haze) that he wouldn’t need the prescriptions. He was highly resistant. I told him that the doctor had told him to take it before the numbing meds wore off to help with pain and swelling. After some combative looks back-and-forth, he took the pills. He hasn’t taken any medication since.

By that evening he was completely back to normal (other than the avoidance of straws, and being on a liquid diet- though that is personally inflicted, the doctor said he could eat soft foods starting the second day). He examines he wounds several times a day. I have to say that I am glad that he is willing to look at things like that- it will bode well when our son inevitably injures himself.

The moral of the story- Matt is a freak of nature, at least when it comes to his wisdom teeth… or lack thereof.

1 comment:

Higginski said...

This is hilarious. When Justin had his hand surgery, right afterwards he also turned to the nurse and said I was an angel. I am glad we are so heavenly to our men!

When the nurse was giving us instructions, she was talking to me but Justin was staring at her intently until his eyes would haze up and then all the sudden he would snap back into it and ask the nurse to repeat everything. Eventually she just started ignoring him.

Also, I envy him for his recovery time. I was equally nervous about the surgery and anesthesia and while it all turned out okay, my head and teeth hurt for two weeks afterwards.